Tuesday, August 21, 2007

iGoogle

I’ve talked before about how I love Google. Well, I’ve just discovered a new application. It’s called iGoogle. I know what you’re thinking: another “i-thing” is just what we need. But this one is actually pretty helpful (and not owned by Apple, which has to count for something, right?). iGoogle is basically a one-stop quick reference website that you design yourself. To satisfy your curiosity, here is a screenshot of what mine looks like:


Basically, you select from hundreds of available widgets, and then you can arrange them on your page however you like. I opted for a clock, calendar, weather report, Bible search tool, Fox News updates, Dilbert comics, Word of the Days, and Einstein Quotes of the Day.
You can also add multiple tabs for different material. I, for example, have a “Maps” tab with links to Mapquest, Google Maps, etc.
It definitely saves time. With one click I can see my local weather, look up a verse I’ve been trying to remember all day, Google search for a scientific paper I’m looking for, or get driving directions to a restaurant I’m taking Beth to later.
Now all I need is a Google dog-walker and I’m all set.

5 comments:

Bethany Jo said...

what restaurant are you taking me to later? tonight is b-ball night
:)

RhodeDog said...

I see you managed to put the "Bible" search option on there to boost your spiritual visibility. ;)

Anonymous said...

I've had this for almost six months now and I love it. I use it as my home-page. I have access to my Gmail account, a news page with feeds from everywhere, even a page that keeps me updated on the modern literary works. Good find, this one.

pellis said...

Of course! What good is a spiritual life if it isn't appreciated by others?

LWerner said...

Did you know you can change the theme? That option is on the right-hand side, near the top.

LW