Tuesday, August 28, 2007

project 1

In the near future, I'll hopefully be chronicling a few projects that I'd like to do. This is the first: a hollowed out book. I started with this Physician's Desk Reference that I picked up for a couple of bucks at the Goodwill:


I measured a half-inch from the edge of the pages and started going to work with an exacto knife.


It took a few minutes here and there in the evenings, but I eventually got it finished. As you can tell from the following picture, my edges are a little rough. I think this was due to a combination of my technique and my quickly dulling blades.


After all the cutting was done, I glued the back cover on, mixed some Elmer's glue with water (1:1), and soaked the inside of the pages. That allows for the book to solidify, but when it's closed, the pages can still be minimally thumbed so as to appear normal. Now all I have to do is find something worth hiding in here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you make one big enough to stuff a toddler in on those particularly "trying" days?

:)

RhodeDog said...

Umm, silly question, but why?