Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Prayer

My wife and I, along with about a dozen other church members, have recently started praying together on a weekly basis. We meet on Saturday nights at 9 at a different home each week. We started meeting about 5 weeks ago in response to a great need of one of my friends. I think we all regret, to some degree, the fact that it took such dire circumstances to commit ourselves to group prayer outside of church; however, I am sure that we are all glad that we are now bound in this manner, and we are thankful, albeit solemnly, for those circumstances which have joined us together.
In the short time that we’ve been attending our humble prayer group, Beth and I have learned much about prayer, and our faith increases as we see the Lord move as a direct result of our prayers. On a weekly basis we claim the promises of Matthew 18:19-20:

Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Slowly, but surely, we’ve seen the Lord working in my friend’s life. Yesterday in particular we received a huge answer to prayer on his behalf. We’ve also seen the Lord moving in our church in other situations that we’ve been praying for. Thank God for the privilege we have in going to the Lord in prayer!

The sacrifice of the wicked [is] an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright [is] his delight.