Thursday, July 19, 2007

guess the irrational fear

“Ever since before I can remember I've been absolutely disgusted by and afraid of them. It's gotten slightly better since I've grown up, but it's still there.”

“I don't touch them, because it would be like touching a cockroach. If I touch one by mistake, I would wash my hands for about 30 mins. I get really disgusted when people have them in their mouth, how nasty is that.”

“They disgust me and make me feel dirty and unloved.”

“If I ever end up touching one or touching something that I know one has touched I have to wash my hands thoroughly, and if there is no sink handy to do so in, I have to try to scratch off the grossness with my fingernail as best I can.”

“I am now 40, have had my phobia since I can remember. I hate the word, I hate the things, they are just gross!”

“When I was growing up I didn't realise this was a phobia - I thought it was a natural thing to be afraid of, & I couldn't understand why no one else seemed to be afraid too.”

“If I touch one I scratch my self so hard so it will come off that sometimes it bleeds and if I know my boyfriend has just touched one I won’t hold his hand.”

“If I touch one by accident, e.g. in a clothes shop, I can feel my heart suddenly jump, & sometimes I feel like I'm going to be sick.”

That last one should give you a clue. Or maybe this will help:

“The big 'four holers' are the worst & especially detached ones.”

If you haven’t guessed, all these people are talking about buttons, and I got their quotes here. I couldn’t believe this was a real phobia, but then I found Avon Hypnotherapy, a company that offers treatment for this ridiculous fear. Wow.

(If you’re a closet button hater, then I apologize if I’ve disgusted or frightened you with this post. But seriously, buttons?)

No comments: