Sunday, July 8, 2007

our grapefruit mentality

People used to be famous because they were special, but now people are special because they're famous. In an age of reality tv shows and morally-shallow moviestars, there are very few celebrities that have any talent or characteristic that justifies their fame. They're faces are simply piped into America's homes until enough people become interested in them. There's nothing special about them (other than the fact that their life is a train wreck and everyone loves to watch a disaster) and yet every move they make is followed by literally thousands of morons people.

I was reminded of this as I drove home tonight from Sunday night basketball. I usually listen to talk radio in my truck (1240 am WMMB) and news clips were playing at the top of the hour. You'll never guess what the major story was... some guy (I won't mention his name here because I refuse to give him any more recognition) who lost in American Idol a couple of years ago got into an argument with a woman on a plane over the arm rest and the woman allegedly shoved him. Our nation is at war, and this is the biggest news story they can find? Just because this guy was on a television show a couple of years ago, some anchor thinks he's special enough that I care about his getting pushed around by some lady. I don't care. No one does.

Jerry Doyle is dead on when he describes America as having a grapefruit mentality.

1 comment:

RhodeDog said...

Dead on, Phil.